Visas - UK Spouse Visa/Civil Partner Visa

In order to enter or remain in the UK on a Spouse Visa or a Civil Partner Visa as the partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here you must meet the following criteria:

  • you and your spouse/civil partner must be aged 18 or over;
  • you and your spouse/civil partner have met in person and are not related in a way that means you could not marry under UK law;
  • your marriage/civil partnership is legally valid in the UK;
  • your relationship with your spouse/civil partner is genuine and subsisting and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • you meet the suitability requirements i.e. married or civil partners/living together in a relationship for two years;
  • you have been engaged to be married or wish to become civil partners and can prove any previous relationships you or your partner had have permanently broken down;
  • you meet the financial requirements: an annual income of at least £18,600. If you are sponsoring a child as well as a spouse/civil partner you will need an annual income of at least £22,400. For each additional child being sponsored you will need an additional annual income of £2,400. Cash savings are a permitted source and the amount required will need to be calculated as per individual circumstances;
  • you will be accommodated adequately in the UK;
  • the applicant meets the English language requirement (unless the applicant is from a majority English speaking country);
  • if the visa you are applying for is for a period of over 6 months, you will require to pay a Healthcare Surcharge Payment (IHS) the cost of which varies depending upon your circumstances.

Visa duration and Settlement

Spouse/civil partner visas will be initially issued for a period 30 months, if applying from within the UK and 33 months if applying from outside the UK. A further extension application will be required prior to the expiry of the initial visa, this would be granted for a further 30 months (as long as you continue to meet the requirements), taking you to a total of 5 years residence in the UK. Once you have completed the 5 year probationary period you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. Provided that your relationship is subsisting, you are living with your spouse/civil partner in the UK and can continue to meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements and have enough knowledge of the English language and life in the UK. If unable to meet the requirements for the 5 year route then the 10 year route may be available to you.

To find out if your spouse or partner qualifies to enter and remain in the UK, contact us today on 01463 239011.

Christmas and New Year Holidays

Please note that the office will be closed from noon on 21st December 2017 and reopen on Monday 8th January 2018. 

You can e-mail your enquiry by clicking here and we will contact you as soon as possible on Monday 8th January 2018 to discuss your matter further and see how we can help you.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Our Location
Office Location
1st Floor, 46 Church St Inverness IV1 1EH | Tel: 01463 239011 | Fax 01463 239055 | DX: IN14 INVERNESS |
site by plexus media.