UK Visas - Unmarried Partner and Same Sex Partner Visa

In order to enter or remain in the UK as the Unmarried/Same Sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled in the UK you must meet the following criteria:

  • you and your partner must be aged 18 or over;
  • you and your partner have met in person and are not related in a way that means you could not marry under UK law;
  • your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • any previous relationship have permanently broken down;
  • you meet the suitability requirements i.e. married or civil partners/living together in a relationship for two years;
  • your meet the financial requirement: an annual income of at least £18,600. If you are sponsoring a child as well as a spouse/civil partner you will need an annual income of at least £22,400. For each additional child being sponsored you will need an additional income of £2,400. Cash savings are a permitted source, the amount required will need to be calculated as per individual circumstances;
  • there will be adequate accommodation in the UK;
  • the applicant meets the English language requirement (unless the applicant is from a majority English speaking country);
  • if the visa you are applying for is for a period of over 6 months, you will require to pay a Healthcare Surcharge Payment (IHS) the cost of which varies depending upon your circumstances.

Visa duration and Settlement

Unmarried Partner visas will be initially issued for a period 30 months if applying from within the UK, and 33 months if applying from outside the UK. A further extension application will be required prior to the expiry of the initial visa, this would be granted for a further 30 months (as long as you continue to meet the requirements), taking you to a total of 5 years residence in the UK. Once you have completed the 5 year probationary leave you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK provided that your relationship is subsisting, you are living with your partner in the UK and can continue to meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements, and have enough knowledge of the English language and life in the UK.

Coronavirus - Covid-19 UPDATE

Please note that the office of Grey & Co Solicitors is now closed until further notice.  However we are working from home as much as is reasonably possible.

We will endeavour to progress matters as efficiently as we can in these difficult circumstances.

If you have an enquiry for a new matter then please feel free to e-mail us and we will revert to you. 

There will inevitably be an impact on court matters and we will keep clients updated as soon as we have any further information. 

If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to call our office on 01463 239011 or e-mail us at  In general, it is business as usual so far as possible.

Legal Problems?

Let Us Help You.  Call 01463 239011 or e-mail your enquiry here

Grey and Co. handled my divorce in a very friendly and efficient manner. The whole process was completed with the minimum amount of stress and fuss which was very welcome given the circumstances. Everyone I encountered in the team was professional and accommodating. It’s not always easy to schedule appointments when working full time and have children, but the reception staff always found times that worked for me. Andrew explained the processes very thoroughly so that I was always in a position where I understood what was happening, what was going to happen next and how long things would take. I would have no hesitation in both using Grey and Co. again for legal matters and recommending them to others.
Client B
Our Location
Office Location
1st Floor, 46 Church St Inverness IV1 1EH | Tel: 01463 239011 | Fax 01463 239055 | DX: IN14 INVERNESS |
site by plexus media.