UK Visas - Standard Visit Visa

There are many different types of visitor visa in the UK, depending upon the purpose of the visit. Whether you are coming to the UK on business, a short holiday, to visit friends and family or to study you should check your visa requirements prior to arrival. Not every visitor will require a visa: this will depend upon your country of origin. EU nationals and their family members benefit from different arrangements (non-visa nationals). There were major changes in the Immigration Rules relating to visitors in April 2015.  Please follow this link to the UK Border Agency for advice on whether or not you will require a visa.

A Standard Visitor Visa allows a person to travel and stay in the UK for up to 6 months. The Standard Visitor Visa replaces the following:

  • Family/Visitor Visa
  • Business Visitor Visa – incl. visas for academics, doctors and dentists
  • Entertainer Visitor Visa
  • Sport Visitor Visa
  • Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa
  • Approved Destination Status (ADS) Visa
  • General Visitor Visa
  • Child Visitor Visa

If you are a visa national, you will need to obtain a visa before you come to the UK.  If you are a non-visa national (an EEA), entry clearance is not required to enter the UK but you will be required to satisfy the Immigration Officer that you are genuinely seeking entry as a visitor.

The category of visa you apply under will establish what requirements and conditions will need to be met, however the following conditions are applied broadly in all categories:

  • You intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months.
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit.
  • You have enough money to support and accommodate yourself whilst in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds.
  • You will not take paid or unpaid employment.
  • You can meet the cost of a return/onward journey and you are not a child under the age of 18.
  • You do not intend, during your visit to marry or form a civil partnership or to give notice of marriage or civil partnership.

Under certain categories you are able to apply for a long term visitor visa (e.g 1, 2, 5 or 10 years). However, you will still be limited to staying for up to six months at any one time. 


The documents required for the application will be specific to the category under which you apply. The frequency and length of visits will establish if any additional evidence is required to support the application.

What we can do for you

Speak to our solicitors on 01463 239011 who will work with you to ensure you are relieved of the stress and worry inherent with such applications. Our team will manage your application quickly and easily from start to finish.

Coronavirus - Covid-19 UPDATE

Please note that the office of Grey & Co Solicitors is now closed until further notice.  However we are working from home as much as is reasonably possible.

We will endeavour to progress matters as efficiently as we can in these difficult circumstances.

If you have an enquiry for a new matter then please feel free to e-mail us and we will revert to you. 

There will inevitably be an impact on court matters and we will keep clients updated as soon as we have any further information. 

If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to call our office on 01463 239011 or e-mail us at  In general, it is business as usual so far as possible.

Legal Problems?

Let Us Help You.  Call 01463 239011 or e-mail your enquiry here

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the professional manner in which you conducted your business with me. Everything was explained step by step in a way that I fully understood so there were no ambiguities or grey areas (no pun intended).
Client S.
Our Location
Office Location
1st Floor, 46 Church St Inverness IV1 1EH | Tel: 01463 239011 | Fax 01463 239055 | DX: IN14 INVERNESS |
site by plexus media.